How to Choose a Vinyl Replacement Window and Door Contractor
Where to begin? Well, the first step is to get estimates. You should always get 2 to 3 estimates. Look for legitimate companies that have supplied and installed quality products for many years. One who is licensed and insured for the work they do. If you are dealing with an unlicensed window installer, there is no recourse against him should a problem occur.
When you get each estimate, keep in mind that the price you are quoted doesn’t necessarily reflect the quality of the product. Here are some important things to keep in mind regarding product manufacturers:
- What kind of warranty do they offer? A reputable vinyl window manufacturer should offer a limited lifetime warranty.
- How long has the manufacturer been making vinyl windows? A lifetime warranty is meaningless if the manufacturer goes out of business.
- Are the products made in Canada?
- Do their windows have an Energy Star rating?
- Do they meet or exceed industry standards?
- Are their windows made with the latest engineering technology, such as Low-e glass, Argon Gas and Super Spacer® technology to boost R-values, reduce noise and resist condensation?
- Do they manufacture their own window components – such as energy-efficient vinyl with multi-chamber extrusions? Do they have their own sealed unit making equipment?
Once you’re confident that the manufacturer is well established, you need to take a closer look at your product supplier:
- Do they have a Showroom?
- How long has the company been replacing windows and doors?
- Are they licensed and insured?
- Do they provide excellent service?
- Do they stand behind their products?
- Were they recommended by a family member or a friend?
- What is their BBB rating?
Remember that a reputable company is just a phone call away and will be there to look after any needs or concerns that you may have long after the job has been completed.